- Students are to setup a cloud computing storage solution to supplement their USB storage back-up,
- Organize a mirrored folder structure in the cloud,
- Back-up work using SkyDrive on a daily basis,
- Create a SkyDrive group for the Self-Directed Unit,
- Take a screenshot of your Folder structure,
- Take a screenshot of your Vector Graphic Unit folder showing your files from Activities 1-4
Cloud computing, or the cloud, is a colloquial expression used to describe a variety of different types of computing concepts that involve a large number of computers connected through a real-time communication network such as the Internet. Cloud computing is a term without a commonly accepted unequivocal scientific or technical definition. In science, cloud computing is a synonym for distributed computing over a network and means the ability to run a program on many connected computers at the same time. The phrase is also, more commonly used to refer to network-based services which appear to be provided by real server hardware, which in fact are served up by virtual hardware, simulated by software running on one or more real machines. Such virtual servers do not physically exist and can therefore be moved around and scaled up (or down) on the fly without affecting the end user – arguably, rather like a cloud.
SkyDrive: Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.
Students have up to 7 GBs of storage
Part 1 – set-up:
Students are to:
- go to https://skydrive.live.com/ and login using their WSD email address. Just a reminder that your email account should be the same as your computer login.
- Create a folder named “first last name digital voices” folder
- Now create the following sub-folders:
- Big Question Unit,
- Self-Directed Unit,
- Web 2.0 Unit,
- HTML Unit,
- Vector Design Unit,
- Illustration Unit,
- Summative Unit,
- Microsoft App Unit
- Now upload your Activity files from The Big ? Unit and the Vector Design Unit. You do not need to create new sub-folders, but make sure the files are all saved as: first name last name_activity_.extension
- Take a screen shot of your folders
- Save as: first_last_name_activity6folders.png in your activity 6 sub folder on your computer.
- Now upload the file to your Big Question Unit on your SkyDrive Big Question sub-folder
Part 2 – Sharing:
- Now go back to the parent folder (first last name DIgital Voices).
- Select the Radio button on the top right and go up to the top menu and select “Sharing,“
Now Share it with your teacher, use firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One student in the Self-directed Unit group will need to create a new Self-directed Unit group,
- Name the group your group name,
- Invite email@example.com and the rest of your group members,
- upload your work files,
- Take a screen shot of members and a screenshot of your uploaded files in the self-directed unit.
- Save as: first_last_name_activity6groupmember.png and first_last_name_activity6groupfiles.png in your activity 6 sub folder on your computer.
- Now upload the files to your Big Question Unit on your SkyDrive Big Question sub-folder
- Create an Activity 6 subpage under the “Big ? Unit” parent page of your website.
- Upload and insert your screenshots created with Skitch,
- Insert a link to your SkyDrive Account
Other Helpful Resources:
- Upload photos and files
- Troubleshoot problems uploading files
- Share files and folders and change permissions
- Organize photos and files
- Supported video formats
- Delete photos, files, and folders
- What you can do with groups